The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery, overlooking Washington D.C.
“Here rests in honored glory an American soldier known but to God.”
24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week, 365 days-a-year, a soldier is guarding this tomb. Over and over again, he:
- Marches 21 steps south down the black mat laid across the Tomb
- Turns and faces east, toward the Tomb, for 21 seconds
- Turns and faces north, changes weapon to outside shoulder, and waits 21 seconds
- Marches 21 steps down the mat
- Turns and faces east for 21 seconds
- Turns and faces south, changes weapon to outside shoulder, and waits 21 seconds
- Repeats the routine until he is relieved of duty at the Changing of the Guard
The number 21 symbolizes the highest military honor that can be bestowed–the 21-gun salute. It’s an incredible sight that every American should see at least once in their lifetime.
The above was shot on March 27, 2014.